Basement fire chars college music room

February 19, 1993 (~estimated)

Basement fire chars college music room

A Westminster Choir College dormitory was evacuated Sunday during a basement fire that charred a rehearsal room and electronic organ, and caused smoke damage elsewhere in the building. Princeton Borough police said.

It appeared to be an electrical fire,” police Capt. Peter Hanley said Monday.

A resident adviser in Seabrook Hall called police at 7 p.m. to report a smell of smoke, he said.

First on the scene. Patrolmen Christopher Boutote and Daniel Brown found “a considerable amount of smoke” in the cellar, which contains a laundry room and music practice rooms, Capt. Hanley said.

The two police officers discovered the fire’s source — a burning electric keyboard instrument — in one of the rehearsal rooms, but were unable to put it out with a fire extinguisher. Capt. Hanley said.

Six firetrucks and two rescue units succeeded in extinguishing the flames, he said.

Leave a Reply