Fire at Andy’s Tavern

Princeton Packet
31 December 1980

A fire at Andy’s Tavern, 244 Alexander St., brought three fire engines to the establishment at 5:48 a.m., Dec. 23, after a report of smoke coming from inside. Police found heavy smoke in the kitchen area and a fire was found under a double pizza oven.

It was controlled with two fire extinguishers until firemen arrived who completely put the fire out. Damage was confined to the area under the oven. There was minor smoke damage. The fire was started when two bags of pizza flour began smoldering on a pallet under the oven, according to police.

Units from all three Princeton fire companies responded to a Christmas evening fire at a Terhune Road home. A beam and wall underneath the fireplace began smoldering, apparently because of a long burning fire overheating the- fireplace. Damage was confined to the area under the fireplace.

Town Topics
31 December 1980


Pizza Flour Ignites. Two bags of pizza flour, stored on a pallet under a double oven were blamed for a fire last week at Andy’s Tavern, 244 Alexander Street.

Sgt. Robert Heacock and Ptl. Virgil Angelini, who responded to a 5:48 a m. call, discovered heavy smoke in the kitchen area on their arrival and traced it to a fire under the oven. They controlled the fire with two patrol car extinguishers until three fire engines arrived to complete the job.

Police described the damage as relatively minor and report that it was confined to the area under the oven.

An overheated fireplace was blamed for a fire in a Terhune Road home at 9:34 Christmas night.

Ptl. John Clausen who responded, discovered that smoke in the basement was coming from a beam and wall on fire underneath the fireplace. Fire units from all three Princeton volunteer companies responded and were able to confine the fire to that area.

Police said they believe the fire was caused by the overheated fireplace, which had been in use for some time prior to the fire.

Leave a Reply