2 December 1981
CELLAR BEAMS CHARRED
By Hot Embers. Six-inch timbers directly beneath a fireplace in a cellar of a home at 533 Mercer Road were charred last week by hot embers from the fireplace.
Police said that when hot embers from the fireplace fell into an ash trap, which was filled to capacity, they spilled over onto the cellar support timbers, causing them to smolder and char. The fire had been extinguished by the owner of the home upon the arrival of Ptl. Robert Nielsen, who had responded to a 10:44 Sunday morning call.
One piece of fire apparatus from Hook & Ladder and Fire Chief Ralph Hulit Jr. also responded.