Firemen douse chimney dorm fire

Princeton Packet
9 December, 1986

Firemen douse chimney dorm fire

An early morning blaze swept through the chimney of a Princeton University dormitory Sunday, causing damage to the house’s exterior, but no injuries, said Harry Kahny of the university’s security department.

Students living at the house on 35 University Place had put out a fire in their’ fireplace with water at about 1 a.m. Sunday, said Ann Reynolds, one of the nine senior women living in the building.

After Ms. Reynolds woke about 4:25 a.m. and saw flames on the outside of the house she immediately woke the other residents and called university security, who informed the fire department.

Ten minutes later, the Princeton Fire Department arrived on the scene with a fire company. Fire Chief Peter Hodge pronounced the blaze under control at about 5 a.m., after firefighters had put out the flames on the outside of the building and ripped off the house’s wooden siding to ensure that the fire was not Miring within the wall.

Chief Hodge said the fire apparently started because the mortar between the fireplace bricks had dried out and permitted the fire to reach the house’s insulation and an exterior wall.

Mr. Kahny gave no dollar amount on the damage to the house, but described it as “minimal.” Temporary repairs were made to the building and the nine residents were allowed to move back in on Sunday.

Leave a Reply