“Mirror, mirror on the wall, why am I a Princeton Fire Department volunteer on a night like this?”
12 February, 1988 (~estimated)
- Until you buy a fire extinguisher, keep a box of Baking Soda near the stove, the fireplace; it makes an excellent and harmless fire extinguisher.
- Matches — can burn, can destroy, can kill! Keep them all in one empty coffee-can, out of children’s reach.
- Always use a firescreen, especially when burning seasoned or very dry wood. It can spit live coals across the room, burn the rug, set fire to curtains.
- Keep hot-water heaters below 130°. It takes only seconds for water above 130° to cause a serious second-degree burn.
- Come cool off at the Princeton Fire Department Bicentennial Celebration on May 14. More details to follow.