Hughes’ Home Burns

28 January 1981
(date estimated)

Hughes’ Home Burns

PRINCETON – A kitchen range fire in the home of former Gov. Richard Hughes here early yesterday gutted two rooms and caused extensive smoke damage throughout the house.

Hughes and his wife were not at their Westcott Road home when the fire began.
Princeton Fire Chief Ralph Hulit said flames were shooting out the kitchen door when firefighters arrived shortly after 3:20 a m.

“The kitchen was fully involved and the fire spread to the pantry before we brought it under control (in 20 minutes),” Hulit said.

The fire chief said the house was heavily damaged by smoke. It was not known if the Hughes family would be forced to find temporary shelter.

Hulit said the fire was discovered by Hughes’ step-son, Patrick Murphy, who was sleeping in a third-floor bedroom when a smoke alarm woke him.

Murphy called the fire department and 60 firefighters responded.

Officials said the fire started near the kitchen range. Investigators added that either the range malfunctioned or one of the burners may have been left on.


Photo Caption:

Trentonian Photo By BOB HARRIS

HUGHES’ HOUSE FIRE – The Princeton home of former New Jersey Gov. Richard J. Hughes was heavily damaged by a fire early yesterday. Fire officials say the fire started in the kitchen. Hughes and his wife were vacationing when the blaze was spotted.

Leave a Reply