Princeton Township

22 July 1981

Police Blotter
Princeton Township

The American Can Company on North Harrison Street was the scene of a chemical mishap last Tuesday, police said.

At 7:04 p.m. on that night, local police, fire, and rescue crews responded to reports that a chemical accident had occurred, and arriving on the scene found the building had been evacuated.

Police said Donald Calhoun of Bristol, Pa. , an employee of an air filter and water treatment company known as Calhoun Associates, had been working on a chemical feed tank used for cooling power. Mr. Calhoun was adding chlorine to the tank, which is a “routine” process, said Police Chief Frederick Porter.

Apparently there was already an unknown chemical in the tank when the chlorine was added, and the reaction caused Mr. Calhoun to experience dryness of the lungs, said Chief Porter.

Princeton’s First Aid Squad administered oxygen to the stricken worker, and he responded to the treatment. Police said there were no other injuries reported.

Leave a Reply