30 June, 1989 (~estimated)
Fireman’s parade marches June 30
The annual Princeton Firemen’s Parade will be held on June 30 this year.
Fire Chief Mark Freda announced that the parade will start at 7 p.m. at the corner of Nassau Street to Borough Hall at the intersection of Nassau Street and Bayard Lane.
Ceremonies after the parade will include valor awards to three members of the department who risked their lives to save a man trapped in an underground storage tank. Additional members having more than 25 years of active service with the Princeton Fire Department. The members and thier equipment will then be inspected by the Borough Council and Township Committee.
This year’s parade will include the three fire companies that make up the Princeton Fire Department; the Princeton First Aid Squad; Ladies Auxiliary marching unit and three bands.
The first firemen’s inspection by the governing body was requested by Fire Chief John J. Stryker on July 5, 1884. The inspection was then held on July 10, in front of Mercer Hall. Mercer Hall was on Nassau Street, between Tulane Street and Allen’s The Fire Department at this time showed off some of its newest equipment, such as a canvas-jacketed rubber hose and an 1183 Rumsey and Company horse-drawn ladder truck.
In 1883, the first fire hydrants were installed and a local news paper commented on how the “roads were once again passable” now that the work was done.