18 April, 1989
Fire at historic home
Princeton firefighters extinguish a fire Friday at a historic home on Snowden Lane, where Joseph Hewes who signed the Declaration of Independence was born. The home, known as Mayberry Hill, caught fire at 5:56 a.m., police said. The fire was caused by an electrical wire malfunction, police said. No one was injured. One fire engine responded to the house, located at 346 Snowden Lane. Firefighters contained the damage to a kitchen area and the maid’s quarters, which are both located in a new addition to the house. Historians estimate that the house was built circa 1725.