19 April, 1989
Fire Breaks Out Friday In Snowden Lane Home
Princeton firemen responded to a 5:56 fire Friday morning in an historic home at 346 Snowden Lane.
A faulty electrical wire is being blamed as the cause of the blaze which firemen were able to contain to a kitchen and maid’s quarters located in a new addition at the rear of the home. No one was injured, although one fireman fell through the roof of the addition.
Joseph Hewes, a signer of the Declaration of Independence was born in the home which is known as Mayberry Hill and is believed to have been built around 1725.
A caretaker has been living in the home, which sits back from the road.